We live in a world of technology. Everything under the sun is online, from businesses and cars, to shopping and antiques. If you need a service hop on Google and see who's in your local area. If you're trying to hunt down a valuable baseball card you can check out eBay. If you need to find a pest control company jump on Google or Yelp. Are you a shop-a-holic, head on over to Amazon. Whatever you need is literally at your grasp online. When it comes to marketing your business, however, while digital marketing is very popular, many potential customers still love the feel of a business card or brochure in their hand to remind them that they need to contact you. Let's not forget that several businesses, whether a brand new company just getting started online or a business that doesn't have a strong online presence, need to gain new business fast. That's where print marketing comes into play!
Despite the attention given to digital marketing, print marketing hasn't lost its relevance. Print materials and promotional products are tangible expressions of your brand and remain vital parts of any successful small business marketing plan. Just think about that for a second, print is non-traditional marketing. That's where we are today. Blogging, social media, web articles, that's all very traditional. Now, am I saying that brands should be looking at print as an opportunity right now to get and keep attention? Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.
Here are 13 reasons your business should use print marketing!
1. These little pieces of paper really pack a punch. Customers can grab a few to share with friends, and you can hand them out at networking events, professional meetings and even social events. When you hand your business card out to potential clients, you create a mental and visual link. Choose a nice promotional item or apparel to reward customers when their cards are complete, or offer a free or discounted product from your inventory.
2. Banners - Large-format graphics get attention and allow you to show off products or announce a special offer or promotion. "Use oversize format printing to make a full-color poster for an upcoming event.
3. Brochures - Even in this day of digital and mobile everything, these printed marketing collateral materials are still important marketing tools. Brochures and flyers are important as a way to present your information quickly and remind your customers about your products and services. You can deploy these materials in direct mail marketing campaigns (see below) to prospective or current customers, or use brochure holders to display the materials at the front counter and in trade show or expo booths.
4. Print Marketing is More Engaging - Technology can be distracting, with many people using more than one device at the same time. Printed materials force the consumer to engage with physical copy.
5. SEO and Print Marketing Go Hand in Hand - We're not telling you to drop your digital marketing to go to a strictly print route. We are saying that print marketing is still extremely beneficial and can actually compliment your online marketing quite well. Businesses that use offline, printed material in addition to their online marketing promotions are known to have a larger, and possibly more loyal customer base to engage with.
6. Print Promotions Have a Longer Shelf Life - If you use Twitter, you've probably noticed that if you don't check your newsfeed for over several hours, you likely can not catch up on every Tweet you missed in that time. Social media is fast-paced, meaning offers and marketing promotions can disappear quickly in your customer's newsfeed. Some customers need advice or information that can be read on a printed piece and reconsidered at a later time.
7. Attention Grabber - Have you noticed how many fewer magazines and print newsletters you are getting in the mail these days? I don't know about you, but I definitely pay more attention to my print mail. There's just less mail, so more attention is paid to each piece.
8. No Developmental Costs - Publishers expend huge amounts of time and money qualifying subscribers to send out their magazines. Many times, publishers need to invest multiple dollars per subscriber per year for auditing purposes. So, let's say, a publisher's cost-per-subscriber per year is $2 and their distribution is 100,000. That's $200,000 per year for audience development.
That's a cost that print marketers don't have to worry about. If marketers want to distribute a magazine to their customers, they just use their customer mailing list.
9. Less Print Competition - Some businesses have jumped on the "print is dead" bandwagon, meaning If more and more businesses are relying solely on online marketing for their advertising, this will leave the print sphere more open and with less competition.
We live in technology-heavy world where we are all connected digitally. Hitting your customer's with a different type of marketing, such as print, might be the item you need to grab their attention and encourage them to engage.
10. Postcards - Put your logo on a card to promote events or specials to customers, or as thank-you and holiday message notes to loyal patrons. If you have a great image or graphic — an historic storefront or a unique product — create picture postcards for customers to take along as mementos or to send to friends.
11. Branded Envelopes - Investing in high-quality envelopes and letterhead emblazoned with your small business's logo is always a smart decision. The envelopes establish a good first impression for direct mail campaigns, as well as when mailing invoices, gift cards and correspondence.
12. Wide Audience Reach - In a recent study, researchers found that 85% of consumers read and sort their mail daily and 40% go to new businesses after receiving direct-mail advertisements. Along those same lines, studies show that print ads generally outperform email ads by 10 to 30 times. If you want to reach the largest possible audience, use both print materials and digital ads to impact more customers.
13. Print Generates Sales - Most businesses employ a variety of marketing methods—including television, Internet, and print ads, to help increase business sales. While each advertising method has its unique benefits, print materials still deliver the highest return on investment of all major marketing mediums.
So here you go! Print Marketing is very much alive in today's marketing world. As you consider your annual marketing budget, don't forget about the power of the printed word. To get an analysis of your business' printed needs and make a mark with print advertising, contact PrintWise Printing and Designs today.